The greatest creations are those that as you create them, you get lost in your thoughts, by the time you're tired of thinking you're holding in your hands, something from deep within...

Welcome inside my head, my heart...

Monday, May 10, 2010

I'm back! and playing with paper clay! ;D

Hi Everyone! My goodness time has flown hasn't it!?

My apologies for the lack of updates, after my last entry my camera lens jammed so I've been without one. I was taking wip pics for an upcoming class and think I got some sand and glue in there, oops! Lesson learned ;) I'd also been in a major creative slump and when that happens I mostly draw and experiment with new mediums here and there - nothing terribly exciting but keeps me sane anyway...

Then last week I was reminded of how short life is with heartbreaking news of Hannie's passing... an amazing, awe inspiring incredible artist....who will be deeply missed....

Suddenly...my slump lifted. I didn't want to waste another precious moment waiting to play with materials I've wanted to experiment with, I grabbed the package of paper clay that I've had for quite a while and quickly grabbed some supplies and tools and started slapping some of it on a larger than my normal scale dragon bust armature that's been waiting for some love. To my surprise, I don't mind the feel of the paperclay which I'm thrilled about!

I'd only used this stuff briefly once before at Sherry & Jean's retreat. I love the idea of using it but it was quite different than what i was used to (polymer & apoxie) I was disappointed to find I did not like it, couldn't work with it, hated how it sucked my paint right into the seams I poorly blended and so I begged for help and gave the rest of my opened pack to Sherry to keep and make something wonderful with (and I have no doubt that she did!) I've seen so many beautiful figures being made with it I knew there had to be more to it....and there is! I think I just needed to try it again when I wasn't as nervous as I was in class.

Here's a quick pic of my first paper clay piece snapped with my cell phone




















It needs much work yet, including bulk, details, teeth, horns, wings etc, but i think I'm lovin the paper clay, (Although, truth be told I may add some of the finer details in my beloved apoxie sculpt.)

Hope you have all been super!!!!! As always thanks so much for visiting!!

BIG hugs,
Sprite

12 comments:

Serena Lewis said...

Welcome back, Sprite!

Sad to hear of Hannie Sarris' passing. I hadn't heard of her myself but the link showed her amazing talent. WOW!

Your dragon sculpt is coming along great....I'll look forward to seeing more progress shots ~ :)

Jonty said...

LOving the dragon, good to see your active again.

Jennifer Rose said...

love the dragon :D and welcome back
I really want to try paper clay, looks like a really good medium to try and make things with

MaryO said...

Ah, I knew it would look well on your blog. I love that dragon! And it's good to see you excited about your work again! Looking forward to seeing lots more.........

Shashi Nayagam said...

Sprite he is awesome. Look forward to seeing him finished.

JudiA said...

Your cell phone is a better camera than you give it credit for Sprite - great WIP pic! Your enthusiasm for the project is evident in your words and I can't tell you how happy I am that you are creating again.

Sue said...

Welcome back Sprite! It is funny/sad that a tragic happening will often be the wakeup call for many of us to start living our days to the fullest again.

I'm not very experienced with paperclay either, however your dragon is looking great!

Sue:)

Sprite said...

Thank you so much everyone :) It's so nice to be back!

Jennifer, I hope you'll give it a try sometime! I never expected to like it as much as I do so far :)

Have a great day!!

HUGS
Sprite

Jo Raines said...

Love this! Such a fierce creature already! And can't believe you get that much detail with Paperclay!

Jody

BumbleVee said...

Welcome back Sprite..... yes indeed.... whether it is creating or just enjoying any small thing in our lives.... we must not wait..... today is all we have.....

it'll be fun to see your progression with the paper clay... I have begun a doll head...but, it is still sitting there...kind of half done.... maybe I'll add some more clay tomorrow....

don't forget...you can do a lot with sanding of paper clay... not that I know much about using it..I have only done a couple of little things with it.... but, I do know it sands really well!

BabesbyBarb said...

I am so glad your slump is over, good looking dragon. It is sad to lose Hannie Sarris, it makes us think about how precious each day we are given is.
hugs barb

Andrew Thornton said...

Glad to hear that you're working again and making new stuff. I do think it's important to take advantage of every moment and to be as creative as possible.

Your piece with the paperclay looks good. Can't wait to see it finished. Nicely done!